Wednesday, July 27, 2016

What would YOU build in your alternate universe?





What Would YOU Build in Your Alternate Universe?


I love alternate universes.  There are so many things we have no control over in our own lives: life, death, taxes, illness, family, nature.  There are of course things we can control, but somewhere along the line, unforeseen circumstances set in and remind us of just how small we are in the scheme of things.  That is what is so great about creating an alternator universe.  Your world can be exactly as you choose it to be.
One of the things that really bother me—and probably you—is the politics and violence that are tearing our country apart.  I firmly believe that it is the inability of our representatives to reach across the table and say, “I don’t agree with you, but I’m willing to meet you halfway,” that keeps our country in total turmoil.  Today’s mentality in congress seems to be my way or the highway.
Why am I mentioning this in a post about alternate universes? Because it was important enough to me to build it into my new world.  In RAINERS, when Harper Reese tumbles into a world different, but similar to her own, she discovers that like the United States there is a President and Vice-President, but unlike her own, one is a liberal and the other a conservative.  It had no specific bearing on my storyline, but something that I wanted in my universe.
What about you?  If you are building an alternate universe, what would you put into it? Unaltered rain forests? Purple dogs? A society that has eliminated hunger and disease?  This world is your oyster, you can build it anyway you want. I’d love to hear what would be important enough to place in yours.

RAINERS:


Tagline: Save his world or save her own.
Blurb: Out hiking, Harper Reese tumbles into a parallel universe where a nightmarish virus has infected the sphere’s pubescent children. While there she encounters bad boy Noah Tanner who’s got problems of his own. Now, they must work together to track down and destroy the source of the disease before it travels to her world and infects her twelve-year-old sister.

Bio: Multi-published author Sandra Cox writes YA Fantasy, Romance, and Metaphysical Nonfiction. She lives in sunny North Carolina with her husband, a brood of critters and an occasional foster cat. Although shopping is high on the list, her greatest pleasure is sitting on her screened in porch, listening to the birds, sipping coffee and enjoying a good book. She's a vegetarian and a Muay Thai enthusiast.

Enter the realm of parallel universes!

What if the government tried to create the perfect utopia? Could a society linked to a supercomputer survive on its own? Do our reflections control secret lives on the other side of the mirror? Can one moment split a person’s world forever?

Exploring the fantastic, ten authors offer incredible visions and captivating tales of diverse reality. Featuring the talents of L. G. Keltner, Crystal Collier, Hart Johnson, Cherie Reich, Sandra Cox, Yolanda Renee, Melanie Schulz, Sylvia Ney, Michael Abayomi, and Tamara Narayan.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will expand your imagination and twist the tropes of science fiction. Step through the portal and enter another dimension!

Release date: May 3, 2016
$14.95 USA, 6x9 Trade paperback, 218 pages, Freedom Fox Press
Science Fiction/General ( FIC028000) and Fiction/Alternative History (FIC040000 )
Print ISBN 978-1-939844-19-4 eBook ISBN 978-1-939844-20-0
Order through Ingram, Follett Library Resources, or from the publisher
$4.99 EBook available in all formats

13 comments:

  1. Teleportation. That would have to be in my alternative world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's a good question. I do like Alex's idea of teleportation or some device that makes it quicker to travel. I think if I had to pick something for an alternate universe, I'd go with a renewable and unlimited energy source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd want a world where people upheld morals and possessed optimism. Like a slice of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Alex's idea, teleportation. Then I'd be able to see my grandchildren 3000 miles away whenever I liked. Besides, the more you teleportation, the thinner you'd get, right???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to see a world where empathy is a cherished attribute unlike here where sociopaths rule the world. It used to be that crossing the aisle and compromising was how it worked. Many of those in power today simply don't care enough to even make the effort or block it without thought for the folks it will help! The do nothing congress is murdering our country with no regret and no guilt, but open pockets!
    I would love to be able to travel to a world where thought for our fellow citizen were positive, helpful, and loving! Has the computer separated us that much?
    Great questions!
    I loved your story, especially the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like teleport is popular.
    And wouldn't it be wonderful if, Yolanda, we learned how to compromise, and, Diane, were morally conscientious.

    Yolanda, thanks:) I'm glad you liked it. Back at ya.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued by the idea of a President and VP being from opposing parties. I really like it.

    Awesome cover for the Anthology, too.

    Thank you, Sandra and the IWSG team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Robyn. Having our elected officials together is a fantasy of mine:)

      Delete
  8. Very neat cover. Right now it is 102 in TX- 100s all week long. My alternate universe would not swelter. I realize what I want is called San Diego but moving is not an option!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great collection. I love parallel universe stories.


    @mirymom1 from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't thought about writing about an alternate universe, although I've certainly been comforted by the thought that out there in the multiverse is a Louise who didn't make some of the stupid mistakes I've made in this life! LOL It would be fun to see in some parallel worlds what would have happened after I made a different choice at some major forks in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most appreciated!